Ride after work 5.26.2010

Total Miles: 107

Total Time: 2.5 hours

GPX: Ride

Google Map:

This map was created using GPS Visualizer's do-it-yourself geographic utilities.

Please wait while the map data loads...


I gotta say, I've been loving Kim's Versys more and more every day.  She's even made a few comments about how I'm turning it into my bike....I don't know what to say for myself.  I miss being able to chew through mile after mile in comfort as well as have fun in the twisties.  With a 60 mile range, I can't really "chew through miles" on my Aprilia.  Anyway, I took off from work and I could tell I was in the mood to ride.  It was a nice day out, even if I was getting rained on a bit.  I decided to head up to Left Hand Canyon and go from there.  I stopped about half way up and snapped this:

It was humid and warm, but breezy enough to be comfortable.  I made quick work of the paved part of LH and quickly made it to Jamestown. Normally, this is where I turn around, but I decided to keep trucking and see where the road took me.  A little ways out, the road turns to dirt.  I kept going, and only stopped when I saw a place to pull of and do a little hiking.  I walked maybe a mile, and turned back, as riding boots aren't the most comfortable hiking shoes.  


After I jumped back on the bike, I continued on the dirt road for a bit.  I stopped once to check my phone, and stretch my legs.  I also wanted to make sure the new boxes were still secured on the bike, as this was the first time I'd had them off road and I wasn't sure how they'd handle the wash board roads.  

I turned off on a random dirt road and started up that for a bit.  It had some steeper grades, and it was fun to push the Versys and see how it would handle a little more than fire roads.  Turns out, she handles it like a champ.  Sure the tires aren't confidence inspiring, but the bike stays surprisingly composed over moderate off road riding.  I never saw any cars on the road I was on, only 4WDs, and as I climbed, the road got worse and worse.  I decided to turn back as I was by myself, and this was the first time I'd had this bike in these types on conditions.  Best not to push it.  I grabbed a few more pictures then headed back down. I quickly finished off the dirt road, and found myself on the Peak to Peak highway.  I new my way home from here, so I headed towards Nederland.  I didn't bother stopping for pictures on my way down to Boulder Canyon, as I ride through there all the time, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunity this summer.

Besides a crash that blocked both lanes for some time in Boulder Canyon, the rest of my ride was smooth sailing.  I got home around 7:30 and called it a night.  All I can say, is I can't wait to get my new bike, so don't have to rob Kim's bike.  I can smell a lonely summer coming for the Aprilia.

- - Rob