So yesterday, I decided to finish up the spring maintenance on my MTB, and I swapped on a new set of tires. The old ones were pretty spent but I hung on to the front as a spare. The rear had a huge gash in the side wall, so it was junk. Instead of tossing it though, I figured I'd make a belt out of it. Turns out I had a spare buckle back from when I was making a few paracord belts:
So I had the buckle, and the belt material, so all I had to do was pick up some fasteners. Turns out there is a fabric store right next to the bike shop, so I grabbed my new tires and slime, and then picked up these fasteners for a few bucks:
These are easy to fasten, as you just hammer them into place. Great for me, as I didn't want to buy some tool to fasten buttons (although I'm thinking of getting something like that). Anyway, I just cut off the side walls of the tire, and then took it inside to wash all the Stan's out of it:
I let the tire soak a bit, then used a wash rag and rubbed all the Stan's out. This was the hardest part of the job by far, but didn't take much more than moderate elbow grease. Next, I cut a hole for the buckle with my exacto knife:
After that, I just attached the buckle:
Before I hammered the two fasteners through, I cut a piece of rubber out of the old side wall to use as a retaining strap on the belt. I wrapped that around the front of the belt, and sandwiched it between the folded rubber holding the buckle. Then I hammered the fasteners through. The buttons end up behind the retaining loop:
The last thing I did was cut the belt to length, round the end, and poke the holes. I marked the holes at the same distance as one of the belts I wear a lot and knew fit well. Then I just cut an "X" at each mark, and ran a round file through each hole. I did cut extra material out with my xacto knife too.
The finished product:
I've been wearing it for a day or so now, and it fits perfectly, and keeps my pants up. Pretty sweet way to upcyle.